Thursday, July 8, 2010

An email from/to a friend

So I posted something on another blog about eating habits and other stuff where I got an email from a friend. I am posting it and my response. Please remember, I am by no way a professional nutritionist or anything, but have picked up a lot of info in my own search.


Amen brutha!!

I feel like 20 pounds skinnier, just by reading this! And need I mention that we are still out of work!! Holy Hell! I am glad you are happy! And can you please make me a list of all those ways you are cutting back on those rich yummy foods ya'll are eating? I am also trying to rid the belly. Damn food!! Thanks for the good read!!

Posted by Noel to The Mind and Times of A Java Junkie at July 5, 2010 8:10 PM

Well Noel,

The easiest way to cut back on all those sugary fatty foods is A. We just don't buy them and keep them in the house. (not even sodas) B. We learned a lot about ingredients and do not eat anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup, or anything that has artificial anything in it. That made a huge difference. We also only use turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw) we buy in the bulk isle, honey, agave nectar to sweeten things. Not totally giving up sugar is the key. But also an interesting fact...in the late 1800's, the average American diet had about 5g of sugars per day. The current is about 160g+. This is in part by us not knowing what is in the food we buy. I am constantly shocked by the amount of unnecessary things in foods. Just go to the grocery store one day and read the ingredients on a carton of sour cream. Sour cream really only needs 3 ingredients, sometimes 4. You find a generic brand that often at 10+ ingredients INCLUDING high fructose corn syrup (sugar)...IN SOUR CREAM! It is shocking. I have not lost the 60lbs I did in the past 2 year from exercise. I wish I could admit that I did, but it was solely off changing my eating habits! Another big thing for us is cooking at home (which I still struggle with). When I cook at home, the meals are heartier and I know what is in them. I can also control the portion size and keep the left overs to take for lunch the next day to work. Anyhow...i feel like I am sounding preachy, but I know I am just sharing what we have done. By the way...since you are out of work still, and I am sure funds are tight...fresh fruit and veggies are so cheap. Last night i took a ton of veg that I needed to eat before it went bad, sauteed it in olive oil, a little sea salt and ate it over some steamed brown rice. IT was AWESOME! If you buy the rice in bulk section, it is cheaper by the pound then if you buy it prepackaged. I actually made enough to have for lunch for 3 days. OH, and the last and most important, drink water....lots and lots or water. A nutritionist told us once to drink half your weight in ounces of water a day. (Me being almost 300lbs started only trying to drink 100oz a day to not drown). Anyway...there's your list you requested! I hope it helps you out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Great information! Would you please consider sharing my link to your readers? Please email me back at haileyxhailey gmail.com.

    Thanks!
    Hailey

    ReplyDelete