Monday, October 5, 2009

Trying Brussel Sprouts

So for years and years you hear on TV and movies that kids just wont eat their brussel sprouts. It has kind of steered me clear of these little darlings. A little reading can tell you that they are full of so many good nutrients, antioxidents, detoxifying enzymes, healthier skin, and more (check out this article on Whole Foods website). These are great little buggars and should be eaten regularly. I saw them on sale one day, and as part of my new routine of buying something new to try every time I go grocery shopping, I purchased them. Thank you to the internet for the great resource it is in finding a recipe to make these. With a few alterations (like I always tend to do), here is the way I make my new favorite side dish:

Brussel Sprouts

Brussel Sprouts
garlic (pre chopped is fine, or fresh if you like more potent flavor), as much as your palate like to have
Olive oil

Cut the bottoms off the already washed (I hope you did that already) brussel spouts and then cut each in half. Heat a skillet and put in a liberal amount of olive oil. Once oil is heated add the garlic to start browning (and give the oil a garlicky flavor). Add the brussel sprouts cut side down. The heat should be medium to medium high. Let the brussel sprouts caramelize a bit then saute them a bit to cook the other side. Keep them moving to coat in the garlicky oil and cook through. They should have a little crunch to them still but not be so cooked they are mushy. Serve immediately as a side to a delicious meat dish. Enjoy.

I hope you all enjoy these as much as I do. It is simple, healthy, and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment